‘Who is a DevOps engineer’ and ‘how do I become a DevOps engineer’ are two repeatedly asked questions. Are you also here to learn the answers?
Let us delve into the aspects of what it takes to be a DevOps engineer, you will learn what is the work of a DevOps engineer, what skills does he require, and why is it a great choice for those who are looking to pursue it.
Before you move forward to clear all your doubts, get a quick understanding of DevOps. Is it a tool, a software, or a programming language, what precisely is DevOps?
What is DevOps?
“DevOps is not a goal, but a never-ending process of continual improvement.”Jez Humble
DevOps is not a tool, it is not a software, it is not at all a programming language that you can learn to become a DevOps engineer, but a philosophy. DevOps is moreover a mind-set to automate the processes of the entire software delivery starting from the development side to the production stage.
It is how you take your client’s product from inception to the development phase and don’t give up unless it is deployed to hundreds of millions of people out there.
DevOps is a concept that is used in the application of a software development lifecycle management to make sure that the development team is relaxed and the operations team that handles all the servers all those technical stuff is also tranquil and both are working in sync. So that whatever the product is being developed can be deployed smoothly.
To sum it up, DevOps aims to condense the system development life cycle to deliver continuous deployment with high software quality.To sum it up
What problems does he solve?
There are a variety of ways to execute software product development. If the application is a small scale application, let’s say a website or maybe just a mobile app, the development won’t be very tough to achieve.
But things do change when you have a big scale application to build. There will be multiple teams working together on a single product, discussing complex architectures; significantly, the DevOps concept will decrease the software failure probability.
What does a DevOps engineer do?
A DevOps engineer or a dedicated DevOps team consists of certified influential individuals who are responsible for different elements such as core collaboration, open communication between the two teams, etc.
The engineer is probable to act as a ‘rapid deployment ranger’ to move the business faster and forward. A developer, or admin, or even tester who acquire core attributes such as scripting & automation and jumps into the development side to improve the planning and deployment.
Do DevOps engineer code?
The DevOps engineer does tend to write code for automation or improve the code to be deployed. However, not all DevOps engineers have to write full-fledged codes.
What does a DevOps team look like?
Now that you’re much acquainted with the terms DevOps and DevOps engineer, let’s go through what a DevOps team look like:
- DevOps Software Developer: responsible for general development along with unit testing, deployment, monitoring, and reporting
- Automation Architect: accountable for automating development using certain tools, testing, and integration of deployment. The specialists examine, create, and implement strategies for CD
- Release Manager: answerable for end-to-end delivery, work in close coordination with both the teams
- Security Officer: works alongside developers, architects, and DevOps managers for product’s security
- Senior DevOps Engineer: serves as a team leader and the ‘DevOps engineer.’ A person who architects and strategize the complete delivery process along with what tools will be fundamentally used. Supervises the entire operations and comprehends the whole environment.
What skills does a DevOps engineer require?
- outstanding team working and communication abilities
- familiarity with programming languages
- strong problem-solving ability
- first-rate organizational and time management skills
- capability to cater to multiple projects at the same time
- mindfulness of DevOps and Agile principles
- able to perform system troubleshooting
- Analyze, design, and evaluate automation scripts & system
What tools do a DevOps engineer use?
DevOps practice plentiful tools to make the development seamless and stress-free. For you to refine your DevOps strategy, there are mentioned top 10 DevOps tools that you can still use in the year 2020.
- Jira or Trello
How to become a DevOps engineer?
Are you an engineer who’s willing to excel as a DevOps engineer in the future? If you keep in mind the below-mentioned skills, you can easily excel as a DevOps engineer and master in this space.
- Linux ground rules & scripting
- Knowledge of various DevOps tools
- Continuous Integration & Continuous Delivery
- Familiarity with code (IAC)
- Agile engineering
- Understanding of DevOps frameworks
The Importance of CI/CD
CI/CD stands for Continuous Integration and Continuous Development; these are two fundamental concepts to DevOps.
The DevOps engineer looks for ways to repetitively improve the CI/CD pipeline from people to processes.
In CI, a few Continuous Integration software tools are used to deliver speedy feedback so that if an error is sensed into the code base, it can be recognized and amended as soon as possible.
CD is all about making recurrent, incremental, and supportable changes in how things are achieved that can lead to better quality. Proficiency, performance, and profitability.
A DevOps engineer is amongst the highest-paid job position currently in the U.S. Refer to below salary stats to witness the demand:
For your information
Was this article helpful? If you have got any questions, you can always comment and ask.
In case, you are looking for a DevOps engineer, you can check out our process and contact us to work.