.Net developed and designed by Microsoft first rolled out in 2002 as a development platform for building dynamic websites and applications. The sole purpose of setting up this platform was to lend support across Microsoft’s flagship products. It not only served the purpose but also evolved to stand out as one of the most used web frameworks over time.
As a new development platform back then, .Net had a greater responsibility of initiating robust solutions and ensuring interactive designs. What made this Microsoft-backed platform mainstay in the field of development was timely version launches and non-intrusive support.
With the dawn of the cloud era, another objective of .Net is to provide Software as a service (SAAS), which makes it much more versatile. Apart from being a development platform, now it caters to the multiple needs of the software industry.
Best .Net Version to use in 2021
The arrival of .Net 5 is a groundbreaking event of its own kind as that’s what makes this technology a unified platform –putting .Net Standard or .Net Core debate to rest. So now using .Net 5 you can take care of Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, watchOS and others single-handedly.
Keypoints of .Net 5
- The latest version of .Net comes with the latest version of C# i.e. C# 9. The new features of C# 9 make significant improvements in .Net 5.0.
- The previous versions of C# bounded the programmers to type lengthy statements. The latest version of C# has reduced the length of the statements to a minimum.
- The pattern matching abilities of operators have been significantly improved by introducing new keywords. These keywords include “and”, “or”, and “not”. C# 9 allows programmers to create mutable and immutable record types unlike older versions of C#
.Net 5.0 gets the support of the Blazor framework, which roughly means the speed of program execution is increased up to three times. Hence, the runtime of the WebAssembly has been significantly improved by introducing the Blazor framework.
Another interesting feature of .Net 5.0 is improved Single File Deployment and Executable. It allows your application and all its resources to be contained in a single file. This means your application and its dependencies are grouped in a single file. Consequently, it improves the distribution of your application and frees up the technicians from uninstalling and installing cycles on software upgrades.
Hence, the latest version of .Net is much more user friendly as compared to its previous versions. Up next, it is also much more versatile as it can be used on multiple software packages and computers. All this makes .Net 5.0 the best version to use in 2021.
Application & Uses of .Net
.Net is a complete package as this single platform can help you create Web Apps, Mobile Apps, Cloud-Native Apps, Console Apps, Internet of Things (IoT), Games and much more as illustrated in the table below
|Web||Create and run applications within the framework of the Web.|
ASP.NET brings in 3 different approaches and architectures to develop web apps and sites.
1. Model-View-Controller (MVC)
The most popular web architecture focusing on true separation of concerns
2. Web Assembly (Blazor)
3. Razor Pages
The classic event-driven style of web development improved to the next level
|Mobile||Xamarin is the mobile development platform based on .NET|
Develop applications for mobile that are compatible with Android, iOS, and Windows operating systems.
1. Xamarin.Forms: Build hybrid mobile apps that can run on Android, iOS and Windows Phone OS
2. Xamarin.iOS: Want to benefit of native iOS app development? here is the solution offered by .NET
3. Xamarin.Android: Native Android mobile app development taken to next level using c# and .NET
Xamarin employs an MVVM design pattern to enable developers to create rich and interactive mobile apps in no time and with prior knowledge and experience of .NET class library.
|Desktop||.NET provides native support for desktop applications to be run on Windows environments.|
1. Windows Forms: Classic event-driven approach to quickly put together a desktop solution for your business problem. Supports multithreading and parallelism.
2. Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF): Rich Interface Applications that provide amazing user experience and efficiency coupled with XAML and CSS based styling.
3. Universal Windows Platform (UWP): Latest addition into desktop development options by . NET. Use it to develop aesthetically vibrant desktop apps that can run on a large array of screen sizes. Code once and deploy on multiple devices without any additional effort of managing the screen resolution.
|API, Services and Microservices||Are you looking to develop highly available and scalable mobile and web backends? .NET is the answer to your problem|
1. Windows Communication Foundation (WCF): A highly secure and robust framework that allows the developers to create backend services either RESTful or Soap. It also provides automation in terms of a scheduled job, a windows service or a self-hosted process. Highly effective to create different servers (TCP, FTP, SMTP etc)
2. Web API: Built to exploit RESTful protocol to fulfil your communication needs with mobiles and websites.
3. MicroServices: Create highly cohesive and decentralized microservices that can be integrated with various software
|Gaming and VR||Create games for desktop and mobiles using unity. Unity is based on an open-source .NET implementation called mono. So if you are an expert in c# and want to delve into gaming or virtual reality applications, unity is the answer.|
2D, 3D, animations VR and much more.
|Cloud||Microsoft Azure is one of the world’s leading cloud service providers. .NET has the natural bonding with Azure. So whether you are developing highly available and scalable ASP.NET websites or micro-service, you deploy them on Azure that is tailor-made for .NET and get below benefits out of the box|
1. Virtual Machines and App Deployment and Distribution
2. Azure Active Directory (AAD) : A centralized authentication and authorization framework.
3. Continuous Integration and Delivery
4. Azure Functions
5. Real-Time Communication
Avail Cloud services. Furthermore, you can also create and provide your own Cloud services.
|Internet of things||Build complex and big apps without any problem with .Net. Therefore, you can build an entire Internet of Things (IoT) with much ease. Backed with cross-platform support, .Net can easily manage hundreds of sensors and input devices to assemble and integrate multiple devices. With .Net support you can easily turn your PC into an IoT device.|
Impact of .Net in 2021
Under the umbrella of .Net cross-platform integration, the feel of the entire project and code remains the very same regardless of the app type.
The open-source development platform works fine for the following operating systems: Windows, macOS, Android, Linux, iOS, tvOS, and watchOS.
.Net with its cross-platform integration and matchless support has turned even more impactful over the years. Here’s more about it:
|Security ||.Net is second to none when it comes to ensuring security and data privacy. All this is achieved by ensuring features such as role-based security, cryptography and well-structured common language runtime features. Following that, with .Net pools and libraries (ASP.NET), you can create web apps without fearing any sort of security threat.|
|Scalability||.Net allows very easy integration of components into your software. This way you can scale your applications according to the requirements. Hence, software business industries are using .Net for scaling their applications as per the requirements.|
|Diversity||.Net is one complete solution for all your business needs as it can single-handedly manage desktop software, cloud infrastructure and web-based services. On top of all, it gets timely updates to catch up with the changing technology trends.|
Programming Languages Supported by .Net
Microsoft has developed a specific platform to make .Net compatible with various high-level languages. This platform is called Common Language Infrastructure (CLI). In other words, this infrastructure allows programmers to use the coding of different languages on .Net. The basic function of CLI is to describe the requirements that a language must fulfil in order to be compatible with .Net.
The CLI not only allows .Net support for Microsoft-backed languages, but also for some other popular languages as well. Some of the go-to languages you can write code for your .Net apps are C#, Visual Basic, and F#.
Microsoft Visual Studio #1 IDE
Visual Studio is an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) designed by Microsoft. Over the years, Visual Studio has remarkably performed to stand out as one of the leading IDEs with a staggering 28.2% market share. Though Visual Studio isn’t a component of .Net, still it’s an inter-related software application, which is essentially used to debug and edit an application.
Visual Studio eases the process of software development by means of graphic designing tools, compilers, and Intellisense (a component used for code completion). The code editor of Visual Studio comes with the support of Intellisense. Following that support, Visual Studio performs debugging at source-level and machine-level.
The software development kit of the Visual Studio comprises a framework known as Managed Package Framework. The major function of this framework is to enable the packages of Visual Studio to be written in a programming language that is compatible with the Common Language Infrastructure.
.Net coming right from Microsoft has the best foot forward for enterprise application development. Simultaneously, it assures great experience with easy and stable integration with a long list of Microsoft products.
The frequent updates with keeping it up with the market trends is yet another fascinating point for .Net as it is something that makes it readily available across different technologies. The same goes for Microsoft’s immense support and security, which ensures a lag-free experience for the users.
It grabs the limelight as a user-friendly platform essential for developing various applications as it reduces the learning curve for programmers with its Blazor WebAssembly. Furthermore, the Blazor WebAssembly allows the programmers to run their C# coding directly on the web-browsers. Consequently, that leads to a fast and hassle-free coding experience.
.Net is not merely a platform for web development rather it is a complete ecosystem. With full-fledged support of Azure and flagship Visual Studio, .Net by Microsoft stands tall as the go-to platform for custom software coding.