The world of software development is expanding to unexplored boundaries and you can’t even imagine if you might be developing a thread through codes anytime soon. Lol!
Well, jokes apart. The software development life cycle has gone to a great extent and many approaches have come into existence. One of those powerful approaches is Rapid Application Development (RAD).
In this article, we will learn everything about RAD. Without further ado, let’s dive deep into the topic.
What Is Rapid Application Development (RAD)?
RAD, also known as Rapid Application Building (RAB), is a software development model that prioritizes quick prototyping and feedback received over prolonged development and testing cycles.
Interestingly, with RAD, now developers can make multiple amendments, updates, and iterations on software applications without starting it all from scratch.
Also, it makes an outcome aligned according to end users’ requirements and keeps the quality intact.
Rapid Application Development Model Methodology
RAD was formalized in 1991, and since then, it has introduced various updates and versions. However, lots of things have changed. Still, the methodology is the same old thing.
To understand the methodology, you should know what are the 4 phases of rapid application development. Let’s get a wing to them below:
This is the most important phase of the Rapid Application Development model.
In this stage, project managers and other team members agree upon a planned procedure by collecting calculations, data, scope, needs, and challenges. What gives RAD hype is it sets broad requirements for long-term flexibility.
This stage calls for users’ involvement in the whole project. The developers and users work together in the production phase by creating prototypes covering all the outlined requirements.
Gingerly, this phase of the rapid application development platform brings in users’ attention until all the required changes are made and the final prototype of the product is created.
RAD programming involves not just user involvement in terms of feedback but also works hand-in-hand with them in the production phase.
Besides that, through coding and testing, the development tasks have been made feasible. Once it is done, the final product is approved by the client.
Though, app development is considered a continuous effort as the programmer has to meet trends and regular changes every now and then.
Even after the product is approved, the app developer needs to put some final touches by checking the latest design/functional updates, conversion rates, interfaces, and testing. Once the product’s health is determined by checking factors like stability and longevity, it’s good to be delivered.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Rapid Application Development platform
Some of the rapid application development advantages and disadvantages are shared in this section:
- Requirements can be changed/updated at any time
- Quick reviews
- Enhanced productivity and involvement of fewer people
- Reduced development time
- It prioritizes and encourages customer feedback
- Less time in creating prototypes and iterations
- Integration isn’t tricky.
- Large teams are not welcoming
- It requires the help of highly skilled developers
- Robust cooperation from the team is needed
- Supports projects with a short development time
- User assistance and requirements throughout the development life cycle
- Difficult management as compared to other models
- It creates software that can be modularized
Difference Between Rapid Application Development & Agile Model
An iterative process involved in the software development life cycle refers to RAD methodology and Agile methodology.
Just like traditional application development methods, Rapid application development platforms and agile methodology are prone to tackle situations and issues which is why they are somehow perceived as the same methodology and contrasted with each other.
Still, a few changes to be noted are
|Customer satisfaction and approval||Yes||Yes|
|Changes are welcomed, even in the last development stages||Yes||Yes|
|Projects can be done by dedicated individuals||Yes||No|
|The working project model is the primary requirement for progress||Yes||Yes|
|Client and developers’ daily cooperation||Yes||No|
Do You Know?
What Are Best Rapid Application Development Tools?
Some basic tools used in Rapid Application Development are
This RAD platform tool allows developers to get indulged in the development process without any hefty IT knowledge.
- It is secure and economical
- The intuitive user interface makes this methodology super fast and easier to use.
- It provides insights into the software’s performance. Based on those automated insights, a developer can optimize it through the testing process.
- Minimal knowledge of coding
This is one of those Rapid Application Development tools that is exclusively built for MAC systems. It provides many apps. Following are some of its great features:
- Sizzy is used to test web applications within no time.
- With Dash, you can access API documentation
- RapidWeaver allows developers to create websites using simple tools and layouts.
- With no code input, the Flinto app lets you design mobile app prototypes deliberately.
No need to overthink about having less or no experience in coding as with Quickbase, developers can do wonders:
- To model workflows and processes, web or mobile applications are built using this RAD tool.
- It offers swift testing capabilities and supports security (enterprise-grade level).
- With a WYSIWYG type editor, programmers can build the most complex applications
Quixey is among the Rapid Application Development tools that speed up the process sagaciously. These are a few features of Quixey:
- It offers flow management capabilities.
- It works with an easy-to-use user interface.
- It offers multi-channel support
Rapid Application Development model is a model developers of this era can flexibly rely on. Hopefully, this blog has covered all important information regarding RAD methodology.