Research, research, research.
Can you tell how passionately we feel about this?
We’re not going to beat around the bush because we respect anyone looking to start a new project and we can relate; a shiny new initiative, brimming with promise, is one of life’s greatest treasures. It’s like seeing a brand new car in a sales lot and just knowing that you must have it; signing all the papers (AKA your life away completely) and committing to a years-long venture without doing the research that would have informed you the car had poorly made parts and was going to die about a year later, leaving you with a very hefty bill and the remnants of dreams past.
It’s not all that dramatic, but research is very important. Countless times we’ve seen clients go all-in to a project without taking the time to gauge its viability.
Things to know before having an app for your business?
Before going any further consider following things that one should have a clear idea about. Read through the following list before you request for an application.
- Do you really need an App? As a business owner your focus should be on generating revenue. Is having an app relevant to your business right now. Will it help with long term business goals?
- Decide if it is for Android, Apple or both? Research your audience and know which platform is best for your business. It can be for both.
- Time to design, build and test? Let the app have enough time for design, development, and testing. Without giving proper time to these your app could be a fail.
- Who are your competitors? Research your competitors so you know where to work hard and where you can take leverage.
- A tablet version. Decide if you need a tablet version for your mobile app separately?
- Business model. Apple takes 30% of total sales revenue generated from the apple store, before going for the platform know if your business model can afford this?
- In-app purchases? Decide how to approach paid, fee, freemium, and other in-app purchases.
- Monetization and revenue generation. Plan on how to monetize and how to generate revenue from the app to take full business advantage. Decide the right route carefully.
- When to launch? The launch timing is critical to app success. Address who, when, why, and what to achieve the result you want.
Is this app going to provide a valuable contribution to the market?
How is it differentiated from the myriad others on the market?
Are there enough people who will use it, or want to buy it, to make its development worth your while?
Does it provide a service no other app can?
Statistics on app usage are clear and simple. Does your app reside in a genre that’s heavily used?
Plainly put, research is king; even twenty minutes could save you thousands of dollars and hundreds of man hours.
Our in-house experts are happy to provide insight on your project idea. Contact us for more valuable information.