vteam #578 was recently hired to work on an EDO (Experiment Design Optimizer) System that was developed back in 2003 using VC++ by the client’s ex-developer. This software program facilitates the decision of selecting the most efficient data-collection method and does so by receiving certain inputs from the user and then process these inputs using matrix based algebric operations to suggest feasible/probable efficient designs under the circumstances. The old legacy system had the following limitations:
- Lack of support for latest Windows versions (Windows 7, Windows 8, etc.)
- Out of memory exception for large matrix size i.e. 26X2 matrix
- Design computation speed was quite slow
- Restricted Expt sheet was not functional
- Printable reports were not attractive and easy-to-read
This system was revamped by vteam #578 using Visual Studio 2010, Help Studio 2015, ReoGrid.0.8.9.3, RDLC Report, .Net 4.0, C# and C++ tools and technologies. As a result, client needed an efficient system that:
- Is Compatible with Windows XP SP3 and latest Windows versions (Windows 7, Windows 8, etc.)
- Can handle the computation of very large matrix in quick time
- Creates a new and easy-to-retrieve filing system along with the support of old binary EDO files
- Is attractive and easy-to-read printable report of any grid sheet
The EDO system was developed using .Net Framework 4.0 to make it compatible with Windows XP SP3 and latest Windows versions (Windows 7, Windows 8, etc.). Its computation algorithm was revised to overcome out of memory exception and speed issues. Best code optimization techniques and Data Parallelism approach using Task Parallel Library (TPL) were used for this purpose.
Xml Serialization was used to implement new filing system to make the files easy-to-retrieve in future. A new C++ based dynamic library was integrated into EDO system using System.Runtime.InteropServices to provide support for old binary EDO files.
The bug of computation algorithm was removed to make the Restricted Expt sheet workable. RDLC Report was integrated into the system to generate attractive and easy-to-read printable reports along with the features of search, export, zoom, etc.
New System Deployment
New efficient system was deployed in the following five phases:
- First Phase: Basic input grid sheets (Var Levels, Build-on Expt and Restrict Expt) were developed along with the support of new and old filing system
- Second Phase: Screens were developed to apply various operations like interactions, non-linear effects, constraints, etc.
- Third Phase: A new optimized computation algorithm was integrated into system.
- Fourth Phase: Design space operations (Add, Subtract, Replicate, Order) and other features (Recently Saved Files, Shortcut Icons, Design Summary, Printable Reports, etc.) were integrated.
- Fifth Phase: A new .chm based help module was integrated into system.
EDO, a complete solution that helps in selection of most efficient data-collection method was completed successfully. After its implementation, design computation operations were performed with the help of just few clicks in no time and on all the latest versions of Windows. Additionally, there was a noticeable improvement in the efficiency and growth of our client’s company.